Well, I hadn't been doing great this month with the pledge I made at
because I've been working on projects that I had started ages ago. There is a basket of unfinished frocks that I am determined to complete as soon as I possibly can.
It is because I had been working hard on other things that I decided to just take a wee break and get on with the pledge. I had look through my stash of sewing patterns for the one I thought would take me the least amount of time to make from start to finish. I found Marian Martin 9250 which is a pattern I have had since I was 10ish and really into the 1940's at the time. Easy. It took me longer to cut out than to sew. All together 2 hours (a break in between for afternoon tea of course).
I had to make a seam up the back, which isn't terribly noticeable, for I had only a little less than 3 yards of the fabric I was dying to use. A fabric that I bought a few years back, when starting fashion school, for my toiles (or muslins or prototypes or whatever word you want to use for it). That was usually all I would buy cotton quilting fabric for but that subject is for yet another day. I just like using print and solid color cottons sometimes instead of just constantly plain muslin.
So I think it turned out just fine and it's nice and it's cool for our hot summers. The sleeves are my favourite part of it even though I have no business wearing sleeves as these with my fleshy arms.
I gave up caring.
The ties were made from an old crepe dress that had seen better days and I've just been using pieces of it for projects here and there because the color is just beautiful and more of a teal color than what shows in the photographs. It matches the leaves wonderfully on this fabric pattern.
I didn't bother to match the patterns because I was in a hurry. Nor did I care to be honest. It's just for an every day, about-the-house frock.
|Not sure if you can see, but I did the 1930s manicure again but with my favourite pink varnish color, Revlon Demure!|
2 patterns down this month for my pledge!This pattern was going out of my element a bit and I sometimes quiver a little at the thought of "betraying" my style. But going out of our comfort zone is good once in a while, although I did make it slightly 1930s length. Nevertheless it feels good and looks a bit good so it probably won't go forgotten in the back of the wardrobe.
What a lovely summer dress! I love the contrasting waist-tie you used. It looks very pretty :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Kate! I was kinda forced into contrasting sashes because I really had very little of the fabric left, but I do like the outcome! Thank you again for the comment!Delete
It's absolutely fabulous! What a classic, flattering, beautiful dress. The contrasting waist adds a lot and really helps to create the look of a long silhouette here. Fabulous job and styling, lovely lady!ReplyDelete
Oops, said "fabulous" twice - well that's because it is! :)Delete
Oh thanks a million, Jessica! You're too too kind hehe!Delete
The dress is gorgeous but it's your hair that has me swooning. I just can't get mine to behaveReplyDelete
hello,ciao...what a great work! the dress is so charming ...cheers!ReplyDelete
What a lovely dress. You look beautiful! Well done on your vintage pledge, your doing a brilliant job!ReplyDelete
Thank you so very much, you're very kind to say! I'm doing my best indeed! Thanks for stopping by!Delete