Thursday, July 2, 2015

Another Sewing Help! My Singer 115 Revamped!

 Well! I have at long last found all of my Singer 115's missing parts and got her completely and utterly cleaned up, unstuck and ready for her new racket!
   I got my 115 at an antique fair in her cabinet a few years ago and just had to have it. I knew it needed help and what I was getting into, it was clear to anyone to see that, but for some reason I just had to have her. The treadle table had all of it's drawers besides the front long compartment and was in pretty good shape beside the fact that someone had stained it without taking out the machine first.   Yes,there was quite a lot of  splatter on the machine to get rid of.
     I might have paid $70 too much and could surely have gotten a new and in-working-order machine as my first treadle but I really wanted to fix this one up for my own. Nevertheless in the process of working on her and seeing it just sitting there day after day I just had to have one to sew on. So I bought Khafra, my 1923 Singer 127 who now resides in the 115's treadle table and has been so very useful and just a dream to use. So much so that I put off repairing my 115.
   In a way though, using Khafra actually got me motivated to get the other fixed up and in operation, because there are a few things one can do that the other can't. So the other day I just gathered up all of 115's parts and the tools and cleansers to get her right and went outside on the lawn with baby and spent the entire day, practically, getting down to it and I still managed to make a lovely shepherds pie that afternoon for tea.
   Anyhow! Here she is!

     I've named her Bessie Love after one of my favourite actresses. She was petite and beautiful and charming and my machine reminded me of all of her qualities. Strange perhaps, I know! I put the hand crank on her for travel and to use outside whilst having lemonade with cucumber sandwiches and winding up the gramaphone. 

Here is Bessie before in such a sad state. Plenty of parts were missing and other parts just would not move!
The 115 front before! So very much rust and dust oh! the dust!

All the dust and threads!


I'd even found four of these dressmaker pins. They were quite old that they just snapped like cocktail sticks. The bobbin winder would not move a trifle no matter how hard I tried.
 I was lucky in that it had the shuttle still intact (and how!). They're impossible to find for this somewhat rare machine. The shuttle also took a good deal of work to get out and I thought for a while it never would. The machine was just so rusty and dried up but with plenty of hours and elbow grease (and chemicals, safe ones around baby of course) and long search for all the parts,  I completely restored the 97 year old darling.

So lovely! She works ever so smoothly now and makes the most beautiful stitches!
Not much was there I could do about the decals, they were just so worn. Whomever used her really did use her and that's not a bad thing. She'll outlive me and you and our children even after she gets done whipping up all of Krystle's couture!


14 comments:

  1. She's a beauty! Congrats on restoring her! She certainly looks worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH thank you, Kate! It was a lot of effort but yes, indeed worth it!

      Delete
  2. Just saw your post on TreadleOn and found your wonderful blog! I have a 115 with the same Tiffany decal set. This model is a cut above the usual Singers and is a joy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for the compliment on my blog! its probably a bit over the top and eccentric but thats just how I am hehehe! I couldn't agree with you more, its certainly a jem of a sewer and I'm having a joyous time using her! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Truly beautiful sewing machine, sweet dear. These classic machines had such style, elegance and staying power and couldn't possibly suit you and your early to mid-twentieth century style better. It's awesome that you got it working and I hope that you two enjoy countless happy hours together.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! Yes, I see many happy hours ahead sewing on such a beautiful and brilliant piece of engineering. I've already sewn two small things on her..one of leather and the other of fine organza and she does beautifully with both and I couldn't be happier!

      Delete
  4. You have inspired me to continue working on my 115. It too is rusted but not as badly as yours so I should get going on it again. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How pleased I am to hear that this was an inspiration and I would really like to see yours when you finish with it! Thanks a million for the compliment!

      Delete
  5. I can't see at all. It's amazing you are restoring this. I love when people preserve and restore things
    Retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am astounded that you did the restoration yourself! What an amazing project! I have never sewn on a vintage machine. I use a modern industrial one that takes up a lot of space. It must be a totally different experience sewing on your beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 115 is one of my most loved machines. I placed mine on a treadle. Mine was so dusty that I think that saved the decals. I tried using it recently and caused a thread madness in the carriage that I have to take it apart again and practice the treading again. Glad you had time with Bessie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My nephew just came over yesterday to gift me with a 115 which he rescued for me from someone who was just going to donate it somewhere. Lucky me! She came with a very vintage looking motor which has a spring that allows it to be swung down out of the way so it will fit in the case to be put away. The gingerbread/Tiffany decals are largely intact and she came with three bobbins. She sews a lovely stitch (which I accomplished by turning the hand wheel) unfortunately the bentwood case is a bit sad and there's no foot pedal. I'm thinking of looking for a hand crank for her. A vintage one of course, not one of those icky reproductions with the gaudy decals!

    ReplyDelete